- "Agony is a first-person, survival horror set in hell. You will begin your journey as a tormented soul within the depths of hell without any memories about your past. The special ability to control people on your path, and possess demons, gives you the measures to survive."
- ―Steam description
The standard Agony, originally titled Sacred Agony and Agony: Red Goddess, is a first-person action-adventure dark-fantasy horror game that was developed by Madmind Studio and published by Playway, released on May 29, 2018 for Windows, PlayStation 4, and Xbox One ports.
Upon its release, the game met with general negative feedback for its ungrateful censorship besides a mass of bugs/glitches and messy gameplay. Due to this result, a completely improved, uncensored project titled Agony UNRATED is made and released on October 30, 2018 exclusively on Steam.
You will begin your journey as tormented soul within the depths of hell, without any memories about your past.
The special ability to control people on your path, and even possess simple minded demons, gives you the necessary measures to survive in the extreme conditions you are in.
By exploring the hostile environment and interacting with other weary souls of the hellscape, the hero will soon understand that there is only one way to escape from Hell, and it will require meeting the mystical Red Goddess.
The story follows a lost soul trapped in Hell without any memory of his former life. From what is revealed of the protagonist's backstory, he was a king of an ancient land who made a Faustian bargain with the Red Goddess. In-story, he is referred to as both Nimrod by the Goddess and Amraphel by other condemned souls, some of whom still have their memories, blaming the protagonist for them being damned to Hell because of the acts he committed while alive. As the protagonist wanders through the wastelands of Hell, he discovers a possibility of escaping through the aid of the Red Goddess. Determined, he travels to the Red Goddess' lair to learn how he can be set free.
The story features multiple endings, dependent on how the player progresses and choices they make.
- The game originally had received an "Adults Only" rating from the Entertainment Software Rating Board due to its level of violence. This led to the developers toning down some of the violence to allow the game to receive a "Mature" rating instead and allowed it to be rated by PEGI. The game was originally planned to include the uncensored patch for the PC only but the idea was ultimately cancelled due to legal issues. It was originally scheduled to be released on March 30, 2018, but was delayed to May 29, 2018.
- On June 6, 2018, it was announced that the free "uncensored" DLC update, Agony UNRATED, began its production. Once cancelled on June 26, 2018, it was back in development as announced on October 21, 2018 and the game was released on Halloween 2018.
- It was rumored that the game's Nintendo Switch port is in production and planned to arrive sometimes around on late 2018. Madmind Studio debunks it.
Videos & Trailers
WARNING: The following videos from each link contains violent and disturbing imagery only recommended for mature viewers. Continue at your own risk.
Further notice: Due to their highly explicit content, directly uploading these videos to the Wiki is seriously prohibited, as this action violates the Wiki FANDOM's Terms of Service.
- Agony: Intro
- Agony Official Gameplay Trailer
- Agony Official Extended Trailer
- Agony: Official Kickstarter Gameplay
- Agony Official Kickstarter Trailer
- Agony Kickstarter Teaser
- Demons Teaser
- Agony: Official Demons Trailer
- Agony: Official Floating Forest gameplay
- Agony - Red Goddess Trailer
- Agony - Announcement Trailer
- Agony - Fractal Gameplay
- Agony - Launch Trailer
|Agony / UNRATED (Demo • version history) • SUCCUBUS (version history)|
|Agony VR Edition • Agony: Spider Race • Sacred Agony|